We have “food issues” in our house.
And not “food issues” like…”I only drink high-end Columbian Coffee.” or “The only steak I eat is Filet Mignon.”
We have Mr. Lactose-Intolerance. (aka Mr. Dairy Free)
And this is a HUGE bummer for Mr. Lactose-Intolerance because he has lived a lifestyle for years of “more dairy is better”.
Cream Cheese….ADD IT ON!
Baked Potato Soup….MY FAVORITE.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream…..I’LL TAKE SECONDS PLEASE.
So as you can imagine, not being able to eat dairy without taking a handful of pills has cramped Mr. Lactose-Intolerance eating style. He tries to not care as the rest of us pig out on Silas & Maddy’s Ice Cream while he eats sorbet. Or smiles while we eat Three-Cheese Lasagna and he has pasta and sauce.
But honestly, a little part of him dies inside watching his family chow-down on all of the foods that he used to love to eat.
Well, not anymore!
With the addition of one of the BlendTec Blenders – the BlendTec Total Blender Classic Wildside – we are able to create amazing Dairy Free Dishes like Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup and Chocolate Banana Ice Cream. (Recipes below.)
And I’m so excited to tell you that my friends at Blendtec have offered to give away one Blendtec Total Classic Wildside Blender (ARV $454.95) plus Twister Jar (ARV $119) to one lucky Kansas City Mamas reader. I’m so excited to share this giveaway with you all because it is truly an incredible appliance.
PS: Without a doubt…this is a Cadillac Blender and once you own one, you’ll wonder why you waited so long because it does everything….grain mill, smoothie, milkshakes, ice cream, soup, pesto, bread, pie crust, pizza dough and so much more. You will love it!
Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb of fresh mushrooms, cleaned, sliced and divided
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2/3 cup almond milk
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon sherry
1/3 cup wild rice
1. Cook wild rice according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Saute onions and 1/2 of sliced mushrooms until softened – between 5 and 10 minutes. (Reserve remaining 1/2 mushrooms in separate container to be used later.)
3. Add 1 cup of broth and thyme to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
4. Add remaining mushrooms, almond milk, walnuts, salt and sherry to Twister Jar and secure lid. Select “Batters” and blend.
5. Add walnut/mushroom mixture into pan, along with cooked wild rice and allow soup to simmer for 5-7 minutes for flavors to mingle.
6. Serve while hot.
Dairy Free Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
(Adapted from BlendTec Website)
2 bananas, quartered and frozen
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Add frozen banana pieces, vanilla, and chocolate chops to Twister Jar. Place lid on Twister Jar.
2. Hold Twister Jar with one hand while you choose “Speed Up” to Speed 7 with the other hand. Turn Twister Jar counter-clockwise during blending. Blend until smooth.
Contest will be open till end of day on October 14, 2012. Winner will be notified by email and has 48-hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Good Luck.
Disclosure: Blendtec provided the giveaway prize and I received a BlendTec Blender and Twister Jar as well. However, written remarks on Mr. Lactose-Intolerant are entirely my own. Want more information – check out my full disclosure statement.